Monday, June 9, 2008

Listen to the votes not the electors

In Ann Coulter’s latest tirade against Liberals, “Obama was selected, not elected,” she compares the Democratic nomination of Barack Obama over Hilary Clinton to the “election” of George W. Bush over Al Gore in the 2000 presidential election. Coulter gleefully writes that under the Constitution, the American people are not given the right to vote for president rather the Electoral College only has this right. Coulter asserts that the American voter has “no right to demand that their vote prevail over the electors’ vote.” Coulter assumes that everyone aside from liberals shares her elitist views of democracy.

The original intent of the Electoral College was to ensure that the executive power was not a direct reflection of popular majorities (I.e. illiterate, non-landowning men). Understandably, the Electoral College was practical: the smaller amount of votes of electors simplified the voting and counting process. However, I do not think this form of election is necessary any longer. As opposed to almost three hundred years ago, American literacy is high and public education is prevalent. Now, technology expedites the voting process. Instead of voting for someone else to vote, I want my voice/vote to actually be counted.

Although I am neither excited nor disgusted with Barack Obama’s nomination for the Democratic ticket, I feel that in any sort of race, the popular vote should prevail. In essence, to drive through traffic, stand in line, and cast my ballot only have my state’s elector ignore my vote is a waste of my time.

Go to http://AnnCoulter.com to decide for yourself.

No comments: